Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I am a cancer patient.

Yesterday I woke up feeling like myself just that I have cancer. Today I woke up feeling like I am a cancer patient. What happened in between? The hair on my head started coming out several strands at a time as I ran my fingers through my hair. Then I kept doing it to really make sure it was coming out and not just a fluke that there were 15 strands of hair in my palm. It's no fluke its coming out... some spots more than others but I'm not about to wait around and find out where I'm gonna be bald first. Diane was going to give me a buzz but I don't think I can wait til tonight cuz she's at work. I may head to first choice around the corner. I doubt they could screw up a shaved head BUT it is first choice haha. I didn't sleep much last night because I kept thinking that when I wake up I would find big chunks of hair on my pillow and bald patches on my head...this was not the case but my head is still ultra sensitive when the hair is moved different directions. It just wasn't comfortable to sleep.

Along with the hair, my nails are brittle and my skin seems drier than normal. This could be because of the weather but its these changes that make you feel like a cancer patient. The medicine they are giving me attacks all rapidly dividing cells (ie cancer, hair, stomach lining, nails, etc) and can't tell the difference. Its scary to think of the changes and stress your body will go through during this process. I think the tumour has shrunk a little bit since the first treatment which is a good sign! I'm not really looking forward to next weeks chemo but I want to keep moving with the process cuz then it will be over sooner.

Mel and I are going to the Look Good Feel Better program tonight at the Cancer Clinic. I think today is a good day for a self esteem boost. Free stuff here I come.

3 comments:

  1. The Optimist's Creed
    "I promise myself....
    To be so strong that nothing can distub my peace of mind.
    To talk health, happiness, and properity to every person I meet.
    To make all my friends feel that there is something worthwhile in them.
    To look at the sunny side of everthing and make my optimism come true.
    To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
    To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
    To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
    To wear a cheerful expression at all times and give a smile to every living creature I meet.
    To give so much time to improving myself that I have no time to criticize others.
    To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
    To think well of myself and to proclaim this fact to the world, not in loud words, but in great deeds.
    To live in the faith that the whole world is on my side, so long as i am true to the best that is in me."

    ~ Christian D. Larson (1874-1954)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were uncomfortable last night. Your positive attitude comes through despite everything you're undergoing. Keep it up! You're a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cuz! I agree with Aunty....your positive thoughts are coming through.... I am proud of you. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete